Are you suffering with that winter itch, the kind where you want to just scratch your skin off? The skin becomes dry and irritated as we face wind, central heating, and low humidity.
The harsh weather can strip the skin’s natural protective barrier, creating gaps in the outer most layer, allowing water to escape (dehydration) and irritants to get in (sensitivity). The dry environment may be responsible for the itchy sensations, as the inflammatory response kicks in and releases histamines. It can exacerbate inflammatory skin diseases such as rosacea, eczema, ichthyosis, and psoriasis, which suffer an impaired barrier function. Just like the eyelids, the skin on the lips is extra thin and sensitive, which can suffer greatly during the harsh winters, resulting in dry cracked, sore lips.
the winter dryness looks bleak, but what can we do to alleviate these symptoms?
- Back to Basics – start with a creamy, soap-free cleanser, a hydrating spritz with humectants, and a protective moisturizer with at least an SPF15
- Supplement with a next-generation smart serum or masque that includes a high dose of Hyaluronic Acid (which holds 1000 x its own weight in water)
- Target sensitized skin with calming complexes such as Oats, Ginger and Red Hogweed, which reduce those uncomfortable sensations
- Treat skin while you sleep with a peptide serum rich in Argan Oil that provides fatty acids, plant sterols, Vitamin E and Ferulic Acid to reinforce the barrier lipid layer
- Reduce the temperature of your bath and shower, use bath oils, and apply body moisturiser immediately after your shower (within 3 minutes)
- Do not over bathe, over strip, and be too harsh with the skin. Treat it gently and with respect!
- Avoid licking lips, as digestive enzymes and bacteria in saliva can damage the lips. Use a conditioning treatment balm with Shea Butter and Avocado
We understand that your skin is unique so, if you’re unsure where to start, click here to book for a virtual consultation with our expert skin therapists. They’ll take you through a full guided Face Mapping skin analysis with personalised product and treatment recommendations.